Due to this being the time most people turn on their furnaces we have received a high volume of emergency service requests. We're working at them as quick as we can. Thanks for your patience and understanding. And remember to PLEASE have your furnace tuned up regularly!
Guide - What Boiler Efficiency is right for me?
You would think that we would recommend always going for the ultra efficient because it will pay for itself over time. Well, that is not always the case with boilers. Boilers are designed differently than a furnace. From our experience in dealing with ultra efficient boiler models, we always agree that a Standard Efficiency Boiler (~85% AFUE) with an Outdoor Reset is better than a Ultra Efficient boiler for the following reasons:
- Less parts that can go wrong: In our case, the Buderus ~85% series we offer has much less that can go wrong. Ultra efficient boilers regardless the brand has a much more complicated set up and typically have more expensive components.
- It can be even more efficient than 85%! With the simulated outdoor reset control it looks at the return water temperature and runs the burners only when it has to. This causes you to have an increased efficiency in situations where it isn't super cold.
- Much less complicated: Standard Efficient boilers are much simpler in design and that means if a problem arises we can trace down the issue much faster and solve it. We have seen several situations with ultra efficient systems where the problem.
- Upgrade to ECM circulator motors: You can increase the electrical efficiency of your boiler system by upgrading your circulator pump to an ECM motor.
A Standard Efficient boiler is not for everyone though...
- It requires chimney venting: A lot of newer homes do not have chimneys and existing homes are slowly transitioning away from chimneys.
- It is still more efficient: You can get pretty close with a standard boiler, but the ultra efficient models are still cheaper to operate.
- Wall Mount option: You have the option to wall mount the boiler or floor standing.
We feel the best option for boilers is to go with a standard efficiency boiler like the Buderus we currently offer, unless venting options is limiting you or you have venting for a ultra efficient boiler already. The efficiency is good... it's simple and to the point. Any company can service, it's built to last for a long time, and it's very service friendly, which means your HVAC contractor can take care of you and not have to worry about tracking down and ordering very specific parts, or to trace down complicated electrical gremlins.
Sometimes the highest tech isn't always the best option, but it will depend on your unique situation.